Student LifeBack to Student Life Home
The mission of the Academic Advising position is to equip, enable and facilitate the highest and best use of students’ academic gifts for the advancement of God’s kingdom.
The goals of the Academic Advising Position are:
- To communicate with and provide academic advisement to students and their parents
- To enable students to build on their academic strengths
- To ensure that students are advised to take the coursework needed to graduate within four years
- To equip qualified students to make a wise and informed choice of college or university
- To equip students to be timely and informed in their application for higher education admission
- To equip students to be timely and informed in their application for financial aid / scholarships
- To facilitate career skills for non-college-bound students
The position of Academic Advisor isstaffed bylong-time Dayspring teacher, Katie Stewart. With 30 years of teaching experience, many years of involvement in the graduation process, and a desire to help students through their high-school years, Katie is excited to involve students and parents in the planning needed to complete all the requirements for graduation from Dayspring Christian Academy.
Katie’s experience in “advising” includes raising four Dayspring graduates with her husband David. Shetaught mathematics at the high school level for 23 years at Dayspring. She was the Yearbook Advisor for ten years, taught computer classes, served as Knowledge Bowl Coach and oversaw the installation of the technology infrastructure for the current campus. Katie has taken students on college trips, been a class sponsor and chaperoned numerous retreats as well as a senior mission trip.
As Academic Advisor, Katie puts together the yearly class schedules to guarantee that all students can achieve their goals of graduation. She will also work on graduation credit checks, scholarship applications, college recommendations and transcripts. Other responsibilities include academic testing (TerraNova, PLAN, PSAT, ACT), evaluating scores, and helping parents and students interpret the results. Katie welcomes parents and students to come in and talk with her regarding goals, aspirations and post-high school plans including college, vocational training or other career pursuits.
Please contact her at: email@example.com or 970-584-2592